Aguada Fort is the largest and the best-preserved Portuguese bastion in Goa. This tourist destination is located in Canacona taluka, 37 kms from Margao. It was built by the Portuguese during the period between 1609-12 as a guard against invasions from the Dutch and the Marathas. An interesting feature in the precinct of the fort is a 13 metre high circular lighthouse built in 1864 which was initially used as an oil lamp. It was later renovated and modernised in 1976. The Fort is currently the Central Jail, Goa’s largest prison.